ªð¦^¦Cªí µo©«

¤s¹ëÄ«ªG©±¦ü¨¬¥¿µP©±

¶³«n©ø©ú¥X²{¤T¶¡¤s¹ëÄ«ªG¹q¸£°Ó©±¡A©±¤º¸Ë­×§¡»P¥¿µP©±¤@¼Ë¡A¦ý©Ò°â½æªºiPad©M¹q¸£Mac¾÷µ¥¡A«h¥¼ª¾¬O§_¯u³f¡C³ÌÂ÷ÃЪº¬O¡A³s¦b³o¨Ç¤s¹ëÄ«ªG°Ó©±¥´¤uªºªº­û¤u¡A³£»{¬°¦Û¤v¦b¥¿µPÄ«ªG¹q¸£°Ó©±¤u§@¡C¾Ú±x¡A¥Ø«e¤º¦a¥u¦³¥_¨Ê©M¤W®ü¦³Ä«ªG¤½¥qªº±M½æ©±¡A¦ý©ø©úªñ¤é«o¥X²{¤T¶¡°²«_ªºÄ«ªG¹q¸£°Ó©±¡C¤T©±³£¾a±o«Üªñ¡A¨B¦æ´N¯à¨ì¡C²{³õ©Ò¨£¡A°²«_ªºÄ«ªG¹q¸£°Ó©±ùØ¥~³£»P©x¤è©±¤@¼Ë¡A³¯¦Cªº²£«~±qiPad¨ì Mac¹q¸£À³¦³ºÉ¦³¡A³¯³]²£«~ªº®à¤l¤]©M©x¤èÄ«ªG°Ó©±¬Û¦P¡C

­û¤u¥H¬°¥¿µP©±¥´¤u

«_µPªºÄ«ªG¹s°â©±¡A°£¤FÄ«ªG°Ó¼Ð¡A¥ç¦³¤¤­^¤å¦r¼Ë¡C

¬Æ¦ÜÁÙ¦³©x¤èÄ«ªG°Ó©±ªº±ÛÂà§ß±è¡B¨àµ£¹CÀ¸°Ï¥H¤Î­û¤u²£«~¤¶²Ð°Ï¡C°²«_Ä«ªG°Ó©±­û¤u©Ò¨­¬ïªºÂŦâ T«ò¤W¤]¦L¦³Ä«ªG°Ó¼Ð¡A¥B¦U¦³¤u¸¹¡C¤£¦ýÅU«È¨üÄF¡A³s­û¤u¥»¨­¤]¨üÄF¡C·s®ö¬ì§Þ

«_µP©±çE¤ºªº¸Ë­×¡A»P¯u¥¿ªºÄ«ªG©±¤@¼Ò¤@¼Ë¡C

The Western news media is replete with pithy descriptions of the rapid changes taking place in China: China has the world¡¦s fastest growing economy. China is undergoing remarkable and rapid change. This represents a unique moment for a society changing as quickly as China.

You probably read such things in the paper every day ¡V but if you have never been to China, I¡¦m not sure you know quite what this means on a mundane level. As I¡¦ve mentioned elsewhere on this blog, in the 2+ years that RP and I have been in our apartment, much of the area around us has been torn down, rebuilt, or gutted and renovated ¡V in some cases, several times over. I had the thought, only half-jokingly, that when we returned from a couple months abroad, we might not be able to recognize our apartment building. Or that it might not be there at all.

As it turns out, my fears were baseless ¡V our scrappy little home remains. The neighborhood, however, has definitely kicked it up a notch or seven. Starbucks has opened not one, but THREE branches (that I encountered) within a 10 minute walk of one another. An H&M has opened across from our apartment building. These are the kinds of major Western brands that were previously only represented in Kunming by fast food chains like McDonald¡¦s and KFC. Our neighborhood has quickly become the swanky shopping center of the city.

So when we strolled down a street a few blocks from our house a couple weeks ago, I was only sort of surprised to see this new place, one that any American of my generation can probably recognize instantaneously:

ªð¦^¦Cªí